Monday, March 05, 2007

hiya

yeah, a particular period of my life was focused predominantly on traveling & experiencing new places & things. that isn't an active focus (which i act upon) right now in my life, except for brief work trips; but it probably will become a focus again sometime in the future.

there have been a lot of highlights but overall it is hard to beat the six-month trip i was doin 10 years ago through indonesia, thailand, laos & vietnam. i did that before moving back to brisbane, after 4.5 years of living/traveling in other places, and then gradually starting to 'settle down' a bit.

i'm not trying to make anybody jealous here, and in focusing on travel i sacrificed numerous other things - mostly material things - in the process. i don't regret that! i guess i've spent a total of about three years of my life traveling/living abroard, outside of australia. i've been fortunate enough (or in some cases, crazy enough) to travel in 18 different countries so far. seven of those countries i have visited more than once.

but the last non-work, international travel i did was over 5 years ago! that was with my wife, before i started my current job & before we had kids.

now, i wonder which is the first country to which we'll one day take our kids? for financial reasons it'll probably be somewhere in the asia-pacific region (which is relatively cheaper to get to and to travel/live in). any suggestions? ;-D

~

9 Comments:

Blogger lee said...

I have spent eight months out of this country and I know that I'll be spending the rest of my life here. Not being negative -just realistic. My ex-husband's brother and his wife not long ago took their children somewhere that fits this bill -will have to ge back to you on where it was because I can't remember at this minute :).

March 06, 2007 1:51 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I dun travel as much as u do but it wud be good for u to take ur kids to a developing country as their first trip overseas. Then they'll realise how good we have it here. They need to.


Keshi.

March 06, 2007 6:21 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Fergz I live close to Brighton beach if u know where that is. Didnt wanna say it in my rather public blog hehe.

Keshi.

March 06, 2007 8:32 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

and I'd like u to ans some of the Qns I have asked in my current post :)

ty!
Keshi.

March 06, 2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger fergal said...

hi keshi, ok - yes i have a general sense of where brighton is in syd (thanx for letting me know). i lived in the eastern suburbs of syd in '95-'96 (mostly good ol' bondi)
~

March 06, 2007 10:23 PM  
Blogger Drizel said...

Hi Fergal, I wrote this long bla bla ans my page timed out:(
I am sure any place your kids will remeber:)
My first abroud travel was Australia....hihih;)

March 07, 2007 10:59 AM  
Blogger fergal said...

hi, thanx for all ur comments. etain - where did u go in Aust?

i am gonna be away & probably offline for the next few days - goin to see my sis & her new baby (and husband)! ;-D

~

March 07, 2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I lived in Maroubra BEach for a year in late 90s. Bondi is LOVELY.

Kesho.

March 11, 2007 6:32 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol I mean KESHI.

March 11, 2007 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home