Thursday, October 18, 2007




red sails in the sunset
midnight oil's 5th full album, released 23 years ago.
got a new cd copy the other day for $10; good deal!

during my high school years i had a taped cassette copy.
in my view it's a stronger album than i had recalled.
a bit eclectic in places, but i now view that as a good thing.
and of course 10-1 (their previous album, probably my favourite of theirs) had some eclectic moments too.

wikipedia put this album in the "new wave" genre ... i neither agree nor disagree.
in addition to rock, there's elements/moments of e.g. electronica, bluegrass & other similar 'folksy'? acoustic guitar work, longer atmospheric / sparse narrative pieces, surf guitar, a few mid-song tangential turns, plenty of political & social commentary of course vocalised by the man who is now the australian parliament's shadow environment sopkesperson, bizarre synth sound effects, and a few bits that probably are best described as just plain quirky.

a few more listens and this one could possibly draw level with 10-1 in my view;
and after all, this is the first full oils album i became acquainted with.

"but ears can't hear
what eyes don't see
and u can't see me!"

~

3 Comments:

Blogger Divian said...

So now you've given me something else to listen to. Right now, I am still blasting my Queen...Bohemian Rhapsody, can't get enough. Of that and my contry music. Gotta love country!

October 21, 2007 6:20 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lovely...ty Fergal!

Keshi.

October 28, 2007 8:56 PM  
Blogger lee said...

It's a good album, that one. I really like kosciusko from that record.Midnight Oil=unique band. there will never be anyone else who sounds like them.

October 29, 2007 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home