Sunday, January 14, 2007


alright, today is my first working monday for the year and i am looking down the barrel of my first full working week in a month ... and IT SUCKS! well, actually it doesn't feel quite as bad as it sounds right now - i think i dealt with quite a lot of the associated frustration late last week.

anyhow, usually i really am not big on making definitive new years' resolutions, and i'm not going to change that now (and in any case, this year is already 2 weeks old!). but while thinking in recent times about a number of things - including thinking a lot about some possible alternative future career options - i have developed the thought that when all else fails or it's all getting too much, i should to remind myself of the following:

"as long as my wife, our kids and myself are healthy and together, that is the most important factor and everything else is secondary!"


... or something to that effect anyhow. it may sound very simplistic or obvious or whatever; but in my experience it is often all too easy to lose sight of such a perspective. i'd like to, and indeed i do, extend that to the rest of my family, and close friends ... but at its most simple or focussed my 'mantra' would/will be as stated above.

of course, i'll probably lose sight of it before long (please remind me if it seems i am or have!); and no doubt many other things will come to pi$$ me off and/or stress me out ... but i hope to i can continue to keep the above in mind (and preferablyt forefront in my mind).

and on a not-unrelated note: i should stop thinking too far ahead into the future, trying to devise career-related plans for years into the future, and consistently make efforts to live more completely in the here & now of the present moment.

let's see how i go with this ...

~

3 Comments:

Blogger Keshi said...

**as long as my wife, our kids and myself are healthy and together, that is the most important factor and everything else is secondary!"


U got ue priorities in the right order mate. Good on ya! Thats all that really matters. Career is not everything. Alot of professionals have later realised that and it could be too late then. Always cherish ur family and health. Life is too short to waste time and energy on other things.


Keshi.

January 15, 2007 3:56 PM  
Blogger Divian said...

I so need to work. I almost forgot what its like to be in the workforce.

Keep your head up!

And I second Keshi!

At least when you work, you have holiday.

When you don't work, you never get a day off! :)

January 15, 2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger lee said...

It's great that you've got your head screwed on right, fergal, unlike whoever it was that sent out that crap there! Nothing else matters, does it? When people lose sight of their family is when the trouble begins - it sounds like you will always keep them close and thats just lovely :).

January 17, 2007 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home